A hearty multigrain bread works best for avocado toast because it holds up underneath the thick mash and has tons of great flavor to add to the mix. But if you don't have any multigrain, feel free to use whatever loaf you have on hand. Lemon juice is an essential ingredient—not just to keep the avocado from prematurely browning, but also because the citrus boosts the overall deliciousness.
You will need just 5 minutes to serve that toast.
- 2 slices of toast
- 1 avocado
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (flaky, if possible)
- Gather the ingredients.
- Toast the bread slices to your desired level of crunchiness.
- Prepare the avocados right before you are ready to eat. Cut, pit, and remove the avocado from its peel. Mash them with a fork until you have your desired level of texture. Mix in the lemon juice as you mash. A fork works best but you can also use a mortar and pestle if you wish.
- Divide the avocado mixture between the two slices of toast. Drizzle olive oil over the top of each slice. Add a sprinkle of the red pepper flakes and salt to each piece and serve immediately.
You can also be creative and add whatever you want.